[Freeipa-devel] Proposed changes to the HBAC grammar

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Nov 18 14:31:42 UTC 2010

On 11/18/2010 07:09 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On 11/17/2010 04:51 PM, Adam Young wrote:
>
>> On 11/17/2010 04:31 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:

>>> I think we can keep using 1-7 in the septet with the
>>> understanding that 1 is always Monday, 2 is always Tuesday and so on.
>>>
>>> Simo.
>>>

>> I'd like to propose that we have a goal to be as close to the Cron
>> grammar as practicable. So we should allow 0 or 7 for Sunday. This is in
>> keeping with your proposal.
>>

>> Here are the examples from the crontab 5 manpage;
>>
>> # run five minutes after midnight, every day
>> 5 0 * * * $HOME/bin/daily.job>>  $HOME/tmp/out 2>&1
>> # run at 2:15pm on the first of every month -- output mailed to paul
>> 15 14 1 * * $HOME/bin/monthly
>> # run at 10 pm on weekdays, annoy Joe
>> 0 22 * * 1-5 mail -s "It’s 10pm" joe%Joe,%%Where are your kids?%
>> 23 0-23/2 * * * echo "run 23 minutes after midn, 2am, 4am ..., everyday"
>> 5 4 * * sun echo "run at 5 after 4 every sunday"
>>

>> I'm not sure that 'First Wednesday of the month' is possible with this
>> grammar, either. Yet, somehow, it has survived many years.
>>

> 0 8 1-7 * 3   (read, 08:00 on the Wednesday that falls between the 1st
> and 7th day of the 6th month)

Yep: except you meant every month.

  field      allowed values
               -----          --------------
               minute         0-59
               hour           0-23
               day of month   1-31
               month          1-12 (or names, see below)
               day of week    0-7 (0 or 7 is Sun, or use names)

OK.  So  we add a duration to this grammar, declare victory and go home.

I propose adding a hyphen and then duration in days:hours:minutes

0 8 1-7 * 3 : 0:0:30   #from 8 - 8:30

0 8 1-7 * 3 : 0:2:0 #from 8 - 10:

0 8 1-7 * 3 : 2:0:0   #For 48 hours