[Freeipa-devel] Other issues with HBAC calendar

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Nov 24 19:35:46 UTC 2010

On 11/24/2010 02:16 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> That said I am starting thing that having a grammar that is powerful
> enough to express all possible combinations an admin can think of is
> not possible to get done right w/o making it extremely complicated.

When the HBAC rules first came up over a year ago I pointed out how
similar the issue was to the recurrence rules in ical and caldav. I also
pointed out how the committees involved struggled to get this right and
not fall victim to excessive complexity. The truth is, it's a hard
problem, it's no surprise we discover we're struggling with it too.

I haven't been following the whole discussion here so maybe I'm off base
but I continue to wonder why we aren't looking at open standards that
address many of the issues raised here with respect to localized time
recurrence and which also happen to have open source implementations for
evaluating the rules expressed in the grammar.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/