[Freeipa-devel] Updated DNS Prototype

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 01:53:08 UTC 2010

Based on my discussion with Ben last week, and lots of reflection, I've
redone a fragment of the DNS prototype:

http://admiyo.fedorapeople.org/ipa/jquery.ui/

A couple points:

We are going to have  lot of Records in the normal case.  Records really
need their own page.

Unlike Phone numbers, records have their own API call, and shoe horning
it in to the details infrastructure leads to a weird disconnect.  When
someone changes a record or records, that stands alone from the zone
details.  Phone numbers are a portion of the user details.  THe commits
happen at a different time for DNS, where as the commit happens at the
same time for the user case.

It is unlikely that someone will want to move records from say a type A
to type AAAA, but not impossible.  The ui to do that is a little clunky,
so I figured I'd include it if only to make sure we discussed it.

There are many types of records that we support but that are  not likely
to be used in a live situation.  Ben suggested that we have a show/hide
mechanism, and the types that are unused would just be hidden. I haven;t
wired this up in the prototype, but the screen controls are there.

Also, at the top of the page, the non hidden types would act as a way to
jump directly to the record type.  This kind of hypertext navigation is
what Tabs is supposed to support and make easy. Perhaps it would make
more sense to have one tab per supported record type.

Last of all, I've put both PTR and A records on the page. This is an
unnatural match: they would normally be in different zones.  I'm not
sure if there is an implicit relationship between the forward and
reverse zones that we would somehow want to represent...For now I will
assume 'no' but lets make that an explicit decision.