[Freeipa-devel] Proposed standard for Patches: RFC

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue Oct 26 19:29:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:22:01 -0400
Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/26/2010 02:08 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:40:11 -0400
> > Adam Young<ayoung at redhat.com>  wrote:
> >

> >> We've been doing this informally for a while, and I think, if we
> >> all agree to the format, it will help keep track of patches, ACKs,
> >> and commits.
> >>

> >> 1.  Patch naming
> >> Example patch name:
> >> edewata-freeipa-0019-Certificate-management-for-services.patch
> >>

> >> Format:  username-project-seq[-update]-description.extension
> >>
> >> username:  Your Fedora account name.
> >> project name:   always 'freeeipa'
> >>
> > Are these really necessary ?
> > We have the name of the author in the patch anyway, and freeipa
> > (with 2 'e's not 3 :-P) seem really redundant.
> >

> Otherwise, we get into a conflict over who''s patch 519 it is, and we
> have no way to order it.
>
> We've had enough issues where patch 11 requires patch 10 that it is
> just cleaner to try to apply all patches from a given developer in
> order.

If the problem is tracking which patches have been applied an which are
needed wouldn't it be easier instead if each developer published an
official tree with the patches he proposes for inclusion ?

That way all you need to do is a git log origin/master..dev_tree and
you have all pending patches and the order they are applied to.

Looks to me *much* handier then trying to order them based on file
names and arbitrary sequence numbers.

> >> If a patch addresses a ticket in Trac, the second line of the
> >> commit should be the URL to track with the Ticket number.  For
> >> example: https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/339
> >>
> > This part is worth, but I think we should require only the bug
> > number and have the full URL as a nice optional.
> >
> I just copy and paste from the browser.  It does make it clear
> whether we are talking about Trac or Bugzilla.

bugzilla numbers flies around the 600k mark, looks pretty easy to tell
which is which unless we have a sudden, dramatic spike in tickets
filed against the trac instance :)