[Freeipa-devel] Please do not edit po files, please watch for this in patch review

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Aug 17 13:19:49 UTC 2011

While investigating issues with our translations I discovered a git
commit in which some of the po files in install/po were directly edited.
Please do not edit the po files, for all practical purposes you should
consider them machine generated.

Patch reviewers should watch for po edits. The only time po files should
appear in a git commit is after pulling new po files from Transifex [1]

Details:

po files are essentially a set of pairs <msgid, msgstr> where msgid is
the raw untranslated string extracted from our source code and the
msgstr is the translated version of that string. msgid's are collected
from our sources via a process called "extraction" (e.g. xgettext) and
are placed in a pot file (i.e. po template). msgid's arrive in a po file
by a process called "message merging" whereby the msgid's in the pot
file are merged into a po file.

If you directly edit msgid's in a po file you will have broken the
automated workflow and will likely have caused the language translation
to be incorrect.

If you are a native speaker and discover a problem with a language
specific translation (i.e. you want to update the msgstr in the po file)
then that should be done in Transifex and the resulting po file pulled
from Transifex with the correction.

Thanks!!

John

1. We currently have a make target called "update-po" which merges
changes from an updated pot file into each po file. We used to perform
this step after updating the pot file but the current Transifex workflow
obviates the need for this and is potentially problematic. As such it
may be removed to prevent "accidents".

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?