[Freeipa-devel] WIP: ipa trust command

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Dec 13 16:30:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 22:27 +0200, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, Sumit Bose wrote:
> > > --password <Value> [type-specific parameters]
> > >
> > > Creates a trust between FreeIPA realm and another realm of selected
> > > type. Only 'ads' type is currently supported.
> > >
> > > For 'ads' type running `ipa trust-add' would be equivalent to
> > > following sequence:
> > >  * ipa-adtrust-install
> > >  * net rpc trust create
> >
> > As Simo already mentioned theses should be two separate step and `ipa
> > trust-add' should just check is the needed components to create AD
> > trusts are already installed on the IPA server.
> See my answer to Simo, I think we can substantially improve this
> situation.
>
> > Additionally I think we need some commands to define a UID range for the
> > trusted domains, especially for AD trusts. For the domain given with the
> > `ipa trust-add' command we could just use another command line option.
> > But if this domain already has trusts to other domains it will become
> > difficult to handle this with options to `ipa trust-add'. So I would
> > suggest to add a new command to the `ipa trust' family which can set UID
> > ranges for domains before the trust is created. If the trust is already
> > created we may still allow to change the range but with a strong warning
> > that existing UIDs and GIDs will change.
> Ok, this would qualify for ipa trust-add options for UID/GID ranges
> and would also warrant addition of ipa trust-mod that Rob has proposed.
>
> What else except UID/GID ranges could be modified?

Ok we had a discussion this morning about how to handle this.

We decided to do a few things to simplify installing and managing the
problem when multiple replicas are involved.

1. We will fold back as much as possible into ipa-server-install (and
update scripts for 2 -> 3 updates), in particular we will move generic
ACI creation (including additional ACI for a new group called Trusts
Admins), and the creation of a system user called adtrust and associated
DS user under uid=adtrust,cn=sysaccount,cn=etc,

2. We will preconfigure DS so that SASL/EXTERNAL authentication with
that user results in using the uid=adtrust DN that will have also
pre-assigned ACIs

3. We will change samba's ipasm to use the adtrust user and
SASL/EXTERNAL auth to access DS in order to have privilege separation.
This means smbd keeps operating as a restricted user but will not need a
password to be set via smbpasswd -e

4. We change ipa-adtrust-install to ipa-adtrust-enable, this script will
verify the necessary trust objects are in place and enables starting the
adtrust service (smbd daemon, cldap plugin, ...) It also adds the server
to the _msdcs DNS hive.

5. Each ipa server admins need to use as a bridge to/from AD will need
to be 'activated' by running ipa-adtrust-enable once for now. We can
also consider automatically running it by passing a --enable-adtrust
parameter to ipa-replica-install

6. We change ipa-replica-manage to make sure _msdcs records are also
deleted when a replica is removed.

This should be all, please send corrections if I forgot something.