[Freeipa-devel] session authentication URI issues

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Dec 22 22:37:09 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 02:07 PM, John Dennis wrote:
> For your holiday reading pleasure :-) Happy holidays to all.

To answer a couple questions are almost certainly going to come up:

When we first started discussing this a long while back,  I looked in to
what I still feel is the right long term solution,  but whifch is not
currently an option for release reasons.

The most unified approach would extend mod_auth_krb to perform the
caching of the credentials.  A set of files that are Kerberos protected
could have an additional specification  that would stick the Credential
in the session.

This requires mod_auth_krb to know about mod_session. Unfortunately,
due the versions of Apache and how we configure it,  that does not work
for IPA.  Back porting mod_session to the version of Apache shipped with
RHEL 6  is a non trivial undertaking.  The IPA server runs with Apache
in pre-fork mode,  which means that each request is handled by a
different process.  Thus sessions, which depend on shared state,  become
a much heavier-weight  proposal.

In the future I would like to revisit this issue and attempt to
integrate the change into mod_auth_krb.