[Freeipa-devel] python i18n options

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Feb 3 16:13:29 UTC 2011

On 02/03/2011 09:34 AM, Pavel Zuna wrote:
> Python 2.6+ provides secure ways to encode and decode
> literal types to/from strings.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, could you elaborate please?

> Unless we agree on a better way; I'm going to try the pygettext patch and see
> how usable it is. If it's not then I'll try the solution with merging pygettext
> and xgettext output. We also need to rethink the PublicError class and it's
> encoding/decoding in {JSON,XML}-RPC to have them translated on the client.

I think your proposal sounds fine if we expect the message catalog on
the client to be in sync with the server. I'm not sure that's a good
assumption. When they drift apart the effect will be that some messages
appear localized and others won't. That will be a poor user experience.
One way we could address this problem is by following the web model. The
client sends their language preference in each request. When the server
responds it performs the message translation prior to sending it back to
the client. We're already doing this for the web UI, any reason not to
follow the same model for other clients?

I can't comment on the quality of the upstream pygettext patch, but one
way to find out is to start using it :-)

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/