[Freeipa-devel] Help define the roles IPA has by default

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Fri Feb 11 15:12:38 UTC 2011

Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 02/10/2011 07:25 PM, David O'Brien wrote:
>> Dmitri Pal wrote:

>>> I think that a reasonble set of 3 -5 roles and documentation how to
>>> change them should be sufficient.
>>>
>> I agree. On top of what Dmitri has already sent out, this thread is a
>> really good continuation of documenting delegation, permissions,
>> roles, etc., especially because this area is so different from v1. If
>> we look at it from two perspectives, one being What does IPA need to
>> function?, and the other being What do customers need?, then we can
>> probably come up with a short list and provide some basic use cases,
>> descriptions, and examples.
>>
>> Dmitri's list of 5 is good, although I would suggest settling on a
>> naming format, by which I mean rather than a combination of
>> person-based and role-based names, use a consistent format. Security
>> Architect&  IPA Administrator are people (faiap), while Helpdesk is a
>> department. Anyway, you get the idea.
>>
>> We've already started with Name, Description, Goals; with a few use
>> cases I can put together short sections with links to existing docs on
>> how to use the relevant commands, or write them as needed.
>>
>> cheers
> Sounds like a good idea.

Well, some of these roles don't really match what we are shipping in v2.
There is no place for Application Administrator at all and End User is
implicit. So that leaves 3 roles. If we go with these we'll need to add
some additional permissions/privileges to support it.

If we go with this, here is what we're looking at. Also note that the
role "IPA Administrator" is distinct from the group cn=admins which
gives pretty much global access. Those that need additional
permissions/privileges are marked with the ticket number.

* Security Architect
  * IPA config (950)
  * Replication
  * Define delegation of roles to other, lower-level administrators

* IPA Administrator
  * Define and create groups (and delete?)
  * Define the relationships between groups (what does this mean?)
  * Define and create roles for users and groups (what does this mean?)
  * Create nested groups (I don't know if we can have an aci for this)

* Help Desk
  * Review what groups are enabled on what hosts (what does this mean,
all groups are enabled on all hosts, right?)
  * Set up/manage a user's attributes
  * Place a user in a specific group
  * Reset a user password

This is a good start but it completely leaves out the following:

* Users (helpdesk can modify & reset password, nobody can add/delete)
* Host management
* Service management
* Hostgroups
* SUDO