[Freeipa-devel] Rename insta//static to install/ui

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Jan 19 16:13:51 UTC 2011

I've been working with Kyle Baker to implement the cleanup of the
migration and the error reporting pages.  One thing that is messing us
up is the fact that the URL as exposed on the server is different than
the file structure.  I'd like to propose the folowing changes:

First:  rename install/static to install/ui.

I wanted to use this name from the get go, but there was a conflict with
the wsgi based ui.  It has been gone for a long enough time now that the
rename should cause no conflicts.

Second:  merge the html directory into the ui directory.

We need them to be separate originally because the UI was getting
authentication, but the error messages and so forth were not.  NOw, none
of the ui gets authenticated, only the JSON RPC.

Third:  make an RPC url that we can call without authentication.

   The migration page is the last thing we have that uses server side
scripting.  I'd like to complete the work of splitting UI from business
logic.  However, the migration code needs to make an RPC
unauthenticated.  Right now this is the only page that needs to do so,
but we could potentially have others.  If we made a parallel structure
for xml rpc and json RPC that could be called unauthenticated, we could
also perform the migration from the command line or other applications,
which would support some new use cases.

I think the order of execution should be the order I listed them above.
Feedback?