[Freeipa-devel] Rename insta//static to install/ui

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Jan 19 16:35:10 UTC 2011

On 01/19/2011 11:29 AM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> Adam Young wrote:
>> I've been working with Kyle Baker to implement the cleanup of the
>> migration and the error reporting pages.  One thing that is messing us
>> up is the fact that the URL as exposed on the server is different than
>> the file structure.  I'd like to propose the folowing changes:
>>

>> First:  rename install/static to install/ui.
>>
>> I wanted to use this name from the get go, but there was a conflict
>> with the wsgi based ui.  It has been gone for a long enough time now
>> that the rename should cause no conflicts.
>>
>> Second:  merge the html directory into the ui directory.
>>
>> We need them to be separate originally because the UI was getting
>> authentication, but the error messages and so forth were not.  NOw,
>> none of the ui gets authenticated, only the JSON RPC.
>>
>> Third:  make an RPC url that we can call without authentication.
>>
>>    The migration page is the last thing we have that uses server side
>> scripting.  I'd like to complete the work of splitting UI from
>> business logic.  However, the migration code needs to make an RPC
>> unauthenticated.  Right now this is the only page that needs to do so,
>> but we could potentially have others.  If we made a parallel structure
>> for xml rpc and json RPC that could be called unauthenticated, we
>> could also perform the migration from the command line or other
>> applications, which would support some new use cases.
> Is this really required. Can we use what is there now?
> I am not sure I want to spend any cycles on such a major shift at this
> stage of the project.
> Can we just polish what we have for migration page for now and address
> this in 2.1?

Step one is not a major change, actually, as git supports renaming.  It
keeps us from duplicating the assets (ipa.css, images) in both
directories) as we can't really develop the migration page without being
able to see them.   That is the only one needed.  Steps two and three
are just logical cleanup steps.