[Freeipa-devel] [Freeipa-users] FreeIPA questions

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue May 10 01:30:29 UTC 2011

My pleasure.  I'll forward to the list as well.  We do active
development on F15, so you should get pretty good responses from the
Developers.  We're always in #freeipa on freenode.

On 05/09/2011 05:28 PM, SR wrote:
> Thanks, Adam! I'm going to eval RHEL and will grab a copy of F15 beta
> for testing as well.
>
> --Steve
>
> Adam Young wrote:
>> On 05/09/2011 03:36 PM, SR wrote:
>>> I'm new to FreeIPA and this list so please forgive me for the n00b
>>> questions. I have what I think is a pretty straight-forward use for
>>> FreeIPA. We have an Active Directory environment with a few hundred
>>> users. We are starting to increase our number of Macs and need a
>>> directory solution. There are some issues with Macs in AD which
>>> Apple doesn't seem interested in addressing. Open Directory would be
>>> nice if we only had Macs but it doesn't allow for syncing accounts
>>> to AD, so it won't work for us.
>>>
>>> Based on what I've read about FreeIPA, it seems like it would be a
>>> good fit for us.
>>>
>>> The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to even get FreeIPA
>>> installed. I've tried using Fedora 10 with all the latest updates.
>>> I've tried adding different .repo files I've found on the various
>>> FreeIPA pages, but none of them seem to be working for me.
>>>
>>> So, my questions are:
>>>
>>> 1) What is the best distro for running FreeIPA. I'd rather not
>>> purchase RHEL, so it sounds like Fedora is the way to go. I just
>>> finished downloading Fedora 14 and will give that a try unless
>>> someone recommends something else.
>>
>> WHile FreeIPA 2.0 has gone GA, it is only supported in Fedora15,
>> which is currently in Beta.  I'd start with that.
>>

>>> 2) Is version 2 highly recommended over version 1 or does version 1
>>> have sufficient features to use it in a production environment?
>>> Essentially, we have about 30 current Macs users (and growing) that
>>> we want to create accounts for in FreeIPA and have sync'd to AD (or
>>> vice versa). The users will need the ability to change their passwords.
>>
>> Yes, there are so many features in 2.0 that you are going to want.
>>>
>>> 3) What is the best way to install FreeIPA? I'm having problems with
>>> yum (see errors below) so I was wondering if there was another way,