[Freeipa-devel] LDAPS for the IPA LDAP server?

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 13:18:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 21:24 -0500, Adam Young wrote:
> I noticed that the PKI Directory server has a secure port set but the
> IPA DS instance does not:
>
> PKI
> nsslapd-secureport: 7390
>
> Why doesn IPA set up  ldaps    on port 636?

I think you're confused. FreeIPA does indeed set up to listen on both
636 (LDAPS) and 389 (LDAP/TLS) by default.

Take a look at 'netstat -lptn' as root.

If you cannot connect to the LDAPS port, it may be due to a firewall
issue or a certificate issue (make sure you have the FreeIPA CA cert
loaded in /etc/openldap/cacerts and have called cacertdir_rehash on that
directory)