[Freeipa-devel] LDAP conflicts resolution API

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 14:57:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 07:18 -0700, Nathan Kinder wrote:
> On 10/19/2011 11:22 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:

> >> Not automatically, no.
> > So maybe a new DS plugin should do the trick? We would just have to
> > store original DN to some attribute if we want to enable user to just
> > rename the conflicting object to its original location.
> No, I think an RFE to change the existing replication plug-in to allow
> an alternate conflict area would be best.  Simo and I had discussed this
> possibility a long time back.  We would allow one to configure a suffix
> to put conflicts in to prevent them from being in the tree that clients use.

I already implemented the conflict-find, conflict-show and
conflict-rename commands. But I really like your idea. Conflicts can
cause quite unpredictable effects for the user. Not every user can be
experienced enough to guess the replication conflicts cause that issues
and use the new conflict-* commands to fix it.

If all conflicts are stored to a special suffix, the end user experience
will be much better. I can adapt new commands so that user can manage
the conflicts when he get to it without side effects other ipa commands.

Nathan, do you think you will be able to implement this change for RHEL
6.3.0? I can create a RFE bugzilla.

Thanks,
Martin