[Freeipa-devel] ipalib vs. ipapython?

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed Oct 26 06:50:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 17:24 -0400, John Dennis wrote:
> Usually when I look at a source code directory layout it's fairly
> obvious what belongs in each directory. I'll be honest, I've never quite
> understood the role of ipapython vs. ipalib. From time to time I have to
> do some code refactoring, especially in the context of introducing
> common code meant to be shared across a variety of places in the code base.
>
> So what is the role of ipalib vs. ipapython? What are their intended
> purposes? What guidelines should be followed when determining where
> shared code is located?
>
> John

AFAIU, these modules differs as where and how they can be used:
- ipalib: only stuff used in our server framework for LDAP operations
should be here. Its for both freeipa-server and freeipa-client packages
- ipaserver: installation + server related stuff, mainly command line
tools. Only with freeipa-server
- ipapython: both installation related stuff and general functions and
classes used in entire project. A place to store code that can be used
both in ipa-client-install and server. Its a required package for both
freeipa-server and freeipa-client

Maybe Rob can extend.

Martin