[Freeipa-devel] samba4 woes

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Fri Apr 20 17:35:16 UTC 2012

Hi John,

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012, John Dennis wrote:
>We're supposed to be working on master now, not 2.2. But master has
>dependencies on samba4. Those dependencies can only be resolved on
>F17, an unreleased platform.
>
>I think it's reasonable for IPA developers to work on the current
>Fedora release (F16) and not have to resort to trying to develop
>inside a vm or run builds inside of mock, etc.
>
>Even the most basic developer task such as running make-lint won't
>work because it requires you run make to populate the generated
>files. But you can't run make because the configure step fails, it
>fails because it can't satisfy the samba4 dependencies. The samba4
>dependencies can't be satisfied on F16 (I know, I tried).
Please try http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=4009116

We are trying to make sure samba4 development packages and libraries are
installable in parallel to samba3 libraries so that other F16 components
would continue working. Unfortunately, it is a bit more complicated than
needed due to versioning symbols in multiple libraries. The update above
should solve the issues.

>FWIW, I tried to build samba4-4.0.0-42alpha18.fc17.src.rpm in mock on
>my local F16 machine and it fails because it depends on libldb 1.1.4
>which is only in F17, and so on and so on.
>
>So how are others working on master and how are you getting around
>this problem?
Updated F16 build is

/ Alexander Bokovoy