[Freeipa-devel] [DRAFT2] Per-domain DNS update permissions

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 10:20:01 UTC 2012

On 06/18/2012 05:37 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Martin Kosek wrote:

>>> Change the deny rule to deny to everyone except the user in
>>> "parent[1].managedby#USERDN" ?
>>>
>>> Simo.
>>>

>> Good idea, I will do that. I will just use
>> "parent[0,1].managedby#USERDN" so that user can also read the zone
>> record. This way, a selected user will have read/write access to the
>> chosen zone only, which is exactly what we want to achieve.
>
> Yes, this sounds workable to me too.
>
> rob

There were some second thoughts about the proposed design, which I would
like to discuss so that we can eventually accept another (better)
solution for this feature.

The main concern here was that proposed solution (based on user list in
managedBy attribute in DNS zone) is not in line with the rest of
permission&privilege architecture in IPA.

Here is another idea how to address the feature (I tested it and it
would work):
1) Get rid of the deny rule on cn=dns,$SUFFIX by modifying global access
rule (a working patch attached) to avoid current and future issues with
extending ACIs (deny rules are evil).

2) Add new Managed Entry Definition and Template to automatically add
"Manage DNS zone $idsname" permission. These could be used with standard
IPA privileges, roles and thus could be assigned to users, groups,
hosts, hostgroups...

3) New DNS zone managedBy attribute won't be manageable by user, but it
will hold a DN of the managed Permission entry

4) Add the following ACIs to cn=dns,$SUFFIX:
aci: (targetattr = "*")
(version 3.0; acl "Read DNS entries"; allow (read,search,compare)
userattr = "parent[0,1].managedby#GROUPDN";)

aci: (target = "ldap:///idnsname=*,cn=dns,$SUFFIX")
(version 3.0;acl "Add dns entries";allow (add)
userattr = "parent[1].managedby#GROUPDN";)

aci: (target = "ldap:///idnsname=*,cn=dns,$SUFFIX")
(version 3.0;acl "Remove DNS entries";allow (delete)
userattr = "parent[1].managedby#GROUPDN";)

aci: (targetattr = "idnsname || cn || idnsallowdynupdate || dnsttl ||
dnsclass || arecord || aaaarecord || a6record || nsrecord || cnamerecord
|| ptrrecord || srvrecord || txtrecord || mxrecord || mdrecord   ||
hinforecord || minforecord || afsdbrecord || sigrecord || keyrecord ||
locrecord || nxtrecord ||     naptrrecord || kxrecord || certrecord ||
dnamerecord || dsrecord || sshfprecord || rrsigrecord || nsecrecord ||
idnsname || idnszoneactive || idnssoamname || idnssoarname ||
idnssoaserial || idnssoarefresh || idnssoaretry || idnssoaexpire ||
idnssoaminimum || idnsupdatepolicy || idnsallowquery ||
idnsallowtransfer || idnsallowsyncptr || idnsforwardpolicy ||
idnsforwarders")
(target = "ldap:///idnsname=*,cn=dns,$SUFFIX")(version 3.0;acl "Update
DNS Entries";allow (write) userattr = "parent[0,1].managedby#GROUPDN";)

I needed to add permission DN to the managedBy attribute so that I could
create just one set of generic ACIs without having to create a set of
ACIs for every new zone and thus let users with "Update DNS entries"
permission have a write access to the "aci" attribute.

Would this design be better than the previous one? Comments welcome.

Thanks,
Martin