[Freeipa-devel] freeIPA as a samba backend

Endi Sukma Dewata edewata at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 19:45:35 UTC 2012

On 6/26/2012 12:53 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:
>>> IPA will keep all of your passwords in sync - userPassword,
>>> sambaNTPassword, sambaLMPassword, and your kerberos passwords. 389
>>> cannot do this - the functionality that does this is provided by an
>>> IPA password plugin.  Openldap has a similar plugin, but I think it
>>> is "contrib" and not "officially supported".
>>
>> I know that Endi did the work to make 389 be a viable back end for
>> Samba and it passed all the Samba torture tests so I am not sure I
>> agree with you.
>
> Was that for samba4 or samba3?

It was for Samba 4, but that was done a while ago. I'm not sure the
current status of the code. It worked up to some point, but it's no
longer maintained due to lack of OpenLDAP experts to make further
modification since this involves Samba code that are shared between both
backends.

--
Endi S. Dewata