[Freeipa-devel] What is platform services' is_installed() supposed to do?

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 18:48:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012, Petr Viktorin wrote:
>For example,
>ipapython.platform.systemd.SystemdService.is_installed(). What is it
>supposed to do?
>Is it checking if the package is installed, or if IPΑ's instance of
>the service is configured and ready to use?
>
>There's no documentation and from the implementation it's not clear
>either. Since people will hopefully want to port the platform code,
>it would be good to document this.
>

>Also, I think the current implementation is wrong, but I can't know
>for sure.
is_installed() supposed to handle system-specific details of software
availability. We wanted to avoid embedding package manager-specific
knowledge which might not be possible to use during upgrades (to avoid
potential lock ups on parallel access to the same database in some
package managers).

So, for httpd it is correctly reporting that the service is installed.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy