[Freeipa-devel] Experimental patchwork server

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 14:17:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 09:53 -0400, John Dennis wrote:
> On 10/23/2012 09:00 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > I strongly suggest you use git-send-email instead of thunderbird, it
> > makes everything a lot faster, see the instructions I sent in my
> > followup email.
>
> I wrote a python script to manage my patch submissions a while ago which
> might be useful to folks, it's attached.
>
> The basic idea is you keep a directory of your patch submissions. Inside
> the directory is also a file that has then next number to use for your
> submission. By default it runs git format-patch selecting the last
> commit. It creates a patch file using the patch submission format
> defined for IPA. If you use the -s option it also sends it to the list.
> It doesn't use git-send-email, rather it builds an email with a mime
> attachment according to our IPA recommendations. I don't recall why I
> didn't use git-send-email, but there was some reason (probably because I
> couldn't get it follow the IPA conventions, not sure though).
>
> If you have to rework a patch use the -n option to specify which patch
> you're modifying. The script automatically searches the patch directory
> and finds the next revision number for the patch.
>
> The config dict at the top will have to be modified to match your
> username, smtp server, etc. look for anything in UPPERCASE and replace
> with your specifics.
>
> I like to use it because I don't have to remember my patch numbers and
> the result will always follow the IPA conventions without any fumbling
> around.
>
> Petr3 will probably complain about using getopt and a config dict
> instead of optparse but it works and it wasn't worth it to me to port it
> to a different mechanism. Anybody which wants to is more than welcome.

Does this script send separate emails for each patch ?
Otherwise it will cause issues for the patchwork server.
As I said it can only handle one patch per email, that's why
git-send-email is handy
however git-send-email will not respect the rules we currently have in
freeipa.
I think using patchwork to track patches rather than relying on a
subject line is superior, but I do not want to impose it.