[Freeipa-devel] Dojo and Web UI in 3.2

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 15:48:54 UTC 2012

On 10/30/2012 10:41 AM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> I would rather pack it with FreeIPA. I would bundle the Dojo builder
> either way because is not part of the Fedora package. Other thing is
> that the build in the fedora package won't be probably suited for
> FreeIPA - it's not build into single file.

Ugh. Do we really want to be in the business of packaging and supporting
a complex framework exclusively for IPA?

I know there has been a move afoot for "software collections" where
packages install with their own private copy of some other package
because they can then control the dependency. But that opens up a whole
raft of problems (security patches to name just one) that I think we
would be better off avoiding. IMHO system supplied packages are a clear
winner over private copies of packages but I recognize not everyone
agrees with this.

>> What is the chance other projects in the distros we work with make the
>> decision to use Dojo? Do any of them already do? What is the experience?

> I don't know about any. IMHO we can only guess. There are big
> differences in developers preferences. Some rather use more server
> technology like some jboss-based-framework or django, some a single page
> application (our web UI).

Just as an aside. I'm not a web developer but from standing on the
sidelines it seems to me every 6 months there is a new web framework
djour. It makes my head spin, this is the most volatile area of software
I've ever seen. It seems like as soon as you've hitched your horse to
one you're behind the curve because of the next best thing. I wonder why
this software domain can't settle on one or two basic technologies
instead of the constant churn and disruption. Wouldn't that benefit
everyone?

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?