[Freeipa-devel] Command instantiation

Jan Cholasta jcholast at redhat.com
Mon Jan 14 17:23:28 UTC 2013

On 14.1.2013 17:06, Petr Viktorin wrote:

> IPA Command objects sometimes need to pass some data between their
> various methods. Currently that's done using the thread-local context.
> For an example see dnsrecord_del, which sets a "del_all" flag in
> pre_callback and then checks it in execute.
>
> While that works for now, it's far from best practice. For example, if
> some Command can call another Command, we need to carefully check that
> the global data isn't overwritten.
>

> The other way data is passed around is arguments. The callback methods
> take a bunch of arguments that are the same for a particular Command
> invocation (ldap, entry_attrs, *keys, **options). By now, there's no
> hope of adding a new one, since all the callbacks would need to be
> rewritten. (Well, one could add an artificial option, but that's clearly
> not a good solution.)
> In OOP, this problem is usually solved by putting the data in an object
> and passing that around. Or better, putting it in the object the methods
> are called on.
>
> This got me thinking -- why do we not make a new Command instance for
> every command invocation? Currently Command objects are only created
> once and added to the api, so they can't be used to store per-command data.
> It seems that having `api.Command.user_add` create a new instance would
> work better for us. (Of course it's not the best syntax for creating a
> new object, but having to change all the calling code would be too
> disruptive).
> What do you think?

You could extend that to other plugin types as well (e.g. having Object
instances with access to a single object's params instead of passing
data around in a dict would be superb), but I'm afraid this kind of
change won't be easy to do now.

The framework was designed around singleton plugin objects right from
the beginning. I personally think this design sucks, as every kind of
entity in IPA is described by such an object (object classes are
singleton objects, methods are singleton objects, etc.), instead of
using appropriate Python primitives for the job (object classes should
be Python classes, methods should be methods of these classes, etc.).

I really would like to see this improve, but I'm not sure if it's
possible without rewriting the whole framework.

Honza

--
Jan Cholasta