[Freeipa-devel] A new proopsal for Location Based Discovery

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 16:19:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-22 at 17:02 +0100, Adam Tkac wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:25:21AM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-01-22 at 16:18 +0100, Adam Tkac wrote:
> > > Before we start talking about using DNS for this purpose, have you
> > > considered
> > > to use IP anycast for this? You can simply create multiple servers
> > > with same IP
> > > address on different places over the world. After that you announce
> > > this IP
> > > address from multiple places simultaneounsly via BGP and BGP
> > > automatically
> > > routes all clients to the closest node. Advantage is that this is
> > > already
> > > implemented, used and nothing have to be modified.
> > >
> > > Regards, Adam
> > >
> > We cannot assume our customers can influence or have access to change
> > BGP routing, so I excluded multicast solutions from the get go.
> > Also it requires more changes on the clients which is another heavy
> > minus.
>
> If I understand correctly, target customers of IPA are companies and they use
> IPA to maintain resources in their internal networks, aren't they?
>
> In this case I see two basic solutions how to solve the "location" issue.
>
> 1. BGP routing between multiple internal networks

Sorry Adam, I do not want to be dismissive, and I know that in an ideal
world this would be an awesome solution.

Just trust me that for most cases asking someone to change their network
architecture is simply impossible.

We have users telling us their network admins don't even want change
firewall configurations in some cases, so you can well see how they
would respond to someone asking them to change their routing or enabling
and using multicast.

Sorry but it simply is not a solution we can consider.