[Freeipa-devel] Proposal to have spec changes as a separate patch

Petr Viktorin pviktori at redhat.com
Thu Jul 18 10:08:20 UTC 2013

On 07/18/2013 10:10 AM, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013, Ana Krivokapic wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This patch addresses ticket
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3652.
>> Could you please rebase it on top of git master?
> BTW, I was thinking on it and given that majority of rebases like this
> one come due to spec changes, may be we could establishe a practice to
> send spec-related changes as a separate patch in a patchset?
>
> This would allow easily testing the actual code changes since you don't
> really need spec changes at that point or could handle it clearer with
> pre-installed build dependencies.

Or you could just set the union merge strategy on the spec file.
This is potentially dangerous so only do it if for pushing to master you
apply patches in a separate "clean" repository without this setting.

Add the following line to .git/info/gitattributes:
freeipa.spec.in  merge=union

Docs & caveats:
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitattributes.html#_built_in_merge_drivers

--