[Freeipa-devel] Proposal to have spec changes as a separate patch

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Thu Jul 18 12:24:45 UTC 2013

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, Petr Viktorin wrote:

>>> BTW, I was thinking on it and given that majority of rebases like this
>>> one come due to spec changes, may be we could establishe a practice to
>>> send spec-related changes as a separate patch in a patchset?
>>>
>>> This would allow easily testing the actual code changes since you don't
>>> really need spec changes at that point or could handle it clearer with
>>> pre-installed build dependencies.
>>>

>> Or you could just set the union merge strategy on the spec file.
>> This is potentially dangerous so only do it if for pushing to master you
>> apply patches in a separate "clean" repository without this setting.
>>
>> Add the following line to .git/info/gitattributes:
>> freeipa.spec.in  merge=union
>>
>> Docs & caveats:
>> https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitattributes.html#_built_in_merge_drivers
>>
> I would still prefer to have the changes in separate patches in a
> patchset simply because it makes clearer and easier to handle in active
> development.

Hmm, I am personally not convinced - when I just update one Requires, splitting
it to 2 patches seems as an overkill to me...

> When we push commits to the main git tree, we anyway push whole patchset
> as one push operation. As result, anyone who pulls that tree, will get
> consistent patchset -- be it another developer or continuous integration
> machinery. For developers who touch spec files reduced context of the
> changes in a pulled tree will also be helpful.
>
> Besides that, you anyway will need to do manual adoption after
> merge=union in order to get changelog entries in proper chronological
> order and release numbering.

I am still not sure about the gain of this - unless people provide special
patch with comment for all affected branches, I will have to merge the doc
change manually (+ give higher maintenance effort by splitting the patches again).

To sum it up, I would not personally make this a strict rule unless we find
that current patches with spec comment included are unbearable (so far, they
were not unbearable for me...).

Martin