[Freeipa-devel] Configuring FreeIPA with JBoss EAP

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Jun 7 13:31:41 UTC 2013

On 06/07/2013 03:21 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 06/07/2013 08:58 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
>> Hello Jan a Peter, freeipa-devel users,
>>
>> There was recently a project of integrating FreeIPA server with Jboss EAP. One
>> of the results of this project should be a script able to conveniently
>> configure JBoss EAP on a machine to use FreeIPA as an identity&authentication
>> backend.
>>
>> What I would like to find out is what would be the best place to store&maintain
>> such script. AFAIK, JBoss EAP did not want to keep the configuration script
>> with their project - can you Peter please share the reasons for it? I was
>> thinking it would be then easier to maintain the script according to JBoss EAP
>> releases.
>>
>> Second option would be to deploy the script with FreeIPA project. Then, they
>> would also conform to FreeIPA release schedule and not JBoss ones. So I was
>> pondering where should we put scripts like this one, it is quite a specific
>> script, so I do not want to keeping it with freeipa-client package.
>>
>> In this case I would propose creating a new optional subpackage
>> "freeipa-client-jboss" which would include all scripts/docs for the JBoss EAP
>> integration (may extend in future). In future, there may also come more
>> thematic FreeIPA integration scripts when they cannot be stored in relevant
>> upstream projects.
>>
>> Any ideas? Is the correct approach to keep configuration scripts for other
>> upstream projects?
>
> There are two parts of the question:
> 1) Code aspect
> 2) RPM/SRPM aspect
>
> IMO the code can live in IPA git repo in a separate directory or be a
> completely separate source code project.
> We can start with IPA repo and spin it off like we did with the
> ding-libs if we see a need.

Yes, we can start small and see how it goes further.

> As for packaging IMO it should be a separate SRPM (or a part of IPA for
> now) and produce a separate rpm that should be conditionally installed
> if IPA client and EAP are installed on the same system. I wonder if rpm
> can do that? Sounds like a conditional require (if something like this
> is possible).
>
> 2c.

What is the advantage of separate SRPM?

I planned to produce a separate rpm, i.e.
freeipa-client-jboss-<version>-<arch>.rpm which would require freeipa-client
package (or in JBoss's case maybe also on freeipa-server package).

I am not sure if we can make it require also JBoss EAP - AFAIK, they ship the
project only via ZIP files, so no rpm tricks :-(

Martin