[Freeipa-devel] DNS tests [from LinuxAlt 2013]

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Fri Nov 15 15:48:40 UTC 2013

Hello list,

as you may know, we don't have any tests for bind-dyndb-ldap/DNS in FreeIPA.
It seems that we have a chance to change that now.

The LinuxAlt conference 2013 brought the information that Knot DNS [1]
developers plan to write a new test suite for their server, but as usual,
resources are limited and nobody really want to spent time on tests :-)

This resulted in the idea of test-sharing between Knot DNS and
bind-dyndb-ldap/FreeIPA. I think that this would be beneficial for both sides.

We can mutually re-use tests from the other project, so overall cost of
test-development will be lower for both sides.

The only technical obstacle is that we need to design/to bend testing
framework from Knot DNS, so it will be able to run the same set of tests
against BIND with bind-dyndb-ldap.

It seems feasible after a quick look. We just need to allocate some time for
initial discussion/framework design/bending and then we can add tests
incrementally, as our schedule allows.

Current 'test suite' is a part of Knot DNS git repo, and I think that it can
stay in this way. The idea is to:
- clone the repo
- set few environment variables (to direct tests to local BIND)
- run the tests

That is it :-)

It would be great if we could spend some time on this now. We need to discuss
it and prepare the testing framework.

We risk that Knot DNS guys will go ahead and design the framework in a way
which will not fit to our needs if we will wait too long.

[1] http://www.knot-dns.cz/
[2] https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/knot/tree/master/tests-extra/functional

The bonus part: A wiki page about current functional tests for Knot DNS:
https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/knot/wikis/functional-testing

--
Petr^2 Spacek