[Freeipa-devel] Web services in freeIPA

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Thu Feb 6 16:43:21 UTC 2014

On 02/06/2014 04:29 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 02/06/2014 10:12 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
>> As Petr said, we do not have a proper documentation for using RPC for
>> controlling IPA. But I think you can start with looking at [1] to see the
>> template and try running our commands with "-vv" which will show you how we
>> call the API:
>>
>> $ ipa -vv user-show admin
>
> Are we still suggesting using XML interface?
> I though we were planning to prefer JSON rather than XML, something
> changed here?

No, we prefer JSON. In currently developed FreeIPA version (3.4) we already
switched to it by default [1]. So if the command above is run in this version,
it will show the actual JSON-RPC query asked on the server. If run in older
FreeIPA client, it will still use the XML-RPC.

Martin

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3299