[Freeipa-devel] Using the Reviewed-by git tag

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Mon Feb 10 12:32:12 UTC 2014

Hello,

I would like to follow up on a core devel team discussion we had last week. We
found out, that it would be beneficial to see a reviewer of the patches that
land in our git.

This will serve both as a nice way to both generate statistics who is devoted
to both writing new code, but also to reviewing other people's code (and win
prizes ;-), but it will also offer the git history archaeologist 2 names of
developers which should be the most knowledgeable about the patch.

We will use the current de-facto standard "Reviewed-By" tag. Example:

commit da70c6d9353cd29531c8e2c135db81a97f22293c
Author: Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com>
Date:   Mon Jan 27 12:28:12 2014 +0100

    Migration does not add users to default group

    When users with missing default group were searched, IPA suffix was
    not passed so these users were searched in a wrong base DN. Thus,
    no user was detected and added to default group.

    Reviewed-By: Petr Viktorin <pviktori at redhat.com>

Currently, I used to add the tag via "git commit --amend". Does anybody have a
nice helper scripts or snippets to semi-automate it? Note that we will be able
to fully automate it when we start with an CI merging system.

--
Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com>
Supervisor, Software Engineering - Identity Management Team