[Freeipa-devel] FreeIPA 3.4 -> 4.0

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 11:24:42 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I would like to discuss a proposal that Simo had on FreeIPA devel meeting.
Given permission/ACI refactoring that Petr3 is working on, people may have
issues with access to their LDAP if they played too much with the default ACIs
or if they expect that some information stays accessible in the new version. It
may not stay accessible we are removing the SUFFIX level all allowing ACIs and
creating custom read ACIs.

Bottom line is we need to do our best in making our users aware that there are
big changes in this version they need to be aware of. One way is to release a
new major release with appropriate release notes.

I support that move, I think we have enough big features planned to justify new
major release:

* Permissions/ACIs
* OTP
* DNSSEC (hopefully)
* CA Certificate Management Tool
* Big Web UI face lift and refactoring
* ...

If there is no push back against that idea, let's do it. I would then rename
the 3.4 milestones to 4.0 and 3.5 milestones to 4.1.

--
Martin Kosek <mkosek at redhat.com>
Supervisor, Software Engineering - Identity Management Team