[Freeipa-devel] What is Changelog on wiki for?

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Mon Jan 27 14:42:00 UTC 2014

On 01/27/2014 03:32 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Petr Spacek wrote:

>>> It is internet search-able and can be easily pointed to in different
>>> follow up materials.
>>> I would rather keep it, but a wiki formatting script might be a good
>>> idea.
>>
>> Our git repo has nice and responsive web interface:
>> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/freeipa.git/
>>
>> The advantage is that you can read full commit messages so you can see
>> links to tickets in Trac which are not present in shortlog.
>>
>> Given that I think that Changelog wiki page is mostly annoyance, it
>> could simply redirect to repo web interface (may be to listings for
>> specific branches).
>>

> It is useful because you can more easily see what made it into the particular
> dot release rather than finding the patch you want then knowing to search
> backwards for the Become xx.yy commit. I saw it as a poor-man's way of finding
> changes.

Ok, though I still think that git and cgit should be the authoritative source
of searches like this...

> It gets updated 3 or 4 times a year, so it is hardly a burden.

3-4 times? I see 19 updates happening in 2013 in this page. With each release
(even a minor one) we do, we need to do prepare shortlog, apply wiki and the
specific date format and paste it here.

> It is certainly duplicated information and I won't fight any further for it.
>
> rob

Noted :)

Martin