[Freeipa-devel] API version conflict

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Fri Jul 4 13:18:17 UTC 2014

On 07/04/2014 01:34 PM, Martin Basti wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I need increase version number in ipa-3-3 branch to 2.66, but 2.66 is
> already used in ipa-master branch (2.66 Add support for managing user
> auth types). Fortunately it is very minor change so If I don't increase
> the version nothing happens.
>
> How to solve this problem? Don't increase the version number in ipa-3-3
> anymore (?)
>
> If we will increase the IPA-3 API version to number which hits a IPA-4
> capability, it could break communication between ipa3-client and
> ipa4-server.
>
> Should we try increase the major version sometimes?

Hmm, that's a very good question. I think that current model does not count
with API changes in bug fix releases (in the branches). It also did not expect
that that the Capabilities will depend on it.

It seems to me that the least pain is to avoid increasing the API number in
ipa-3-3 for now and think about some better scheme how to avoid this problem (I
do not have an idea ATM which would not break compatibility).

Martin