[Freeipa-devel] Ready to release?

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Fri Jul 4 15:34:07 UTC 2014

On 4.7.2014 17:20, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> On 07/04/2014 04:57 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
>> Hello developers!
>>
>> I would like to thank everyone for the hard work during the last weeks,
>> when finishing the FreeIPA 4.0 release, I saw many last stabilization
>> fixes in DNS, OTP, ACIs, upgrade and Web UI areas.
>>
>> The last major work that is still not pushed is the CA management tool.
>> Unfortunately, the final development and review did not go so well and
>> we still do not have final patches.
>>
>> Given that this is a major piece of work (>50 patches) and given that
>> the reviewer is on a leave, I am considering moving the feature to next
>> release - FreeIPA 4.1 which is short and would still make it to Fedora
>> 21. I would not like to stall 4.0 any more, I would like to offer all
>> the work we have done for wider testing as soon as possible.
>>
>> Thoughts? Any other last patches you would like to add to add to 4.0 GA?
>> There is still little time, but remember, git tag hammer is ready to fire.
>
> I'm testing these two:
> - mbasti-0098-100, DNS tests
> - mkosek-478, Spec bump
>
> Then there's pvoborni-695 with only a functional ACK
>
> The CA management is still up for discussion, but it's more and more likely

We have deferred 'full' DNSSEC support already so it is not unprecedented.

I have one proposal (valid only if we decide to defer CA management):

Maybe we could release 4.1 in few weeks when DNSSEC and CA management are done
& properly reviewed.

That would allow us to follow 'release early, release often' lore. In my
opinion, smaller release = safer.

Of course, it would mean shifting current version numbers from 4.x to 4.(x+1),
sorry Martin! :-)

--
Petr^2 Spacek