[Freeipa-devel] Reorganization of Web UI navigation items

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Mon Jun 2 13:59:20 UTC 2014

Hi List,

the purpose if this mail is to start a discussion about reorganization
of navigation items. Users are not fond of such change so we should come
up with a solution which would last for some time.

Problem:
UX recommendation is that one menu level should contain maximum of 7
items. We have 10 items in Identity, 7 in Policy and 7 in IPA Server.
Basically we reached max. capacity of all 1st-level items.

Solution:
Introduce new 1st-level items and redistribute 2nd-level items.

Initial Draft:

Identity (6)
- Users
- Groups
- Hosts
- Hostgroups
- Netgroups
- Services

Policy (5)  some better name?
- HBAC
- SUDO
- Automount
- Automember
- SELinux User Maps

Authentication (4)
- Radius Server Proxy
- OTP Tokens
- Password Policy
- Kerberos Ticket Policy

Infrastructure (6)  some better name?
- DNS
- Realm Domains
- Trust
- ID Ranges
- Certificates

Permissions (3)
- Role Based Access Control
- Self Service Permissions
- Delegation

Configuration (1)
- Global

Notes:
* draft focuses only on first two levels of navigation
* 'Permission' and 'Configuration' could be merged into old 'IPA Server'
* 'Views' are related to Identity and Trust, they have no meaning
without some kind of trust -> are next to 'Trusts'
* it's weird to have 'Policy' item and items with "policy" in name to
have in 'Authentication'

Comments are welcome
--
Petr Vobornik