[Freeipa-devel] Woes updating and oldish devel server to latest master

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Jun 11 19:17:26 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-11 at 20:50 +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> On 06/11/2014 08:17 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> >>
> >> Ok I manually added ipaVirtualOperation to user99.ldif, and the updater
> >> made some more progress, but now complains it doesn't know about
> >> ipapermissionv2 ...
>
> Simo, could you please post the actual error message when something goes
> wrong? Otherwise I can't really debug this.

More or less the same as before, it is understandable that operations
fail when the schema they depend on is not available. The problem is
that the schema hasn't been updated, not where it fails because it is
missing.

> >> Why is the updater failing to recognize that some schema is missing ?
> >> I see it checking the schema file but it tries to replace a few
> >> attributes (every time) where the only thing that differs is the
> >> X-ORIGIN and does nothing else ...
> >
> > Ok after adding a few manually also some schema for dna plugin was
> > missing, I decided to use the big hammer and simply copied all schema
> > files from /etc/dirsrv/schema and /usr/share/ipa in the ds schema
> > directory.
> >
> > This way ipa-ldap-updater finished successfully.
> >
> > And after a restart of httpd the UI came up.
> > So *hopefully* all is ok now ...
> >
> > Should I open a ticket about ipa-ldap-updater being unsuccessful at
> > updating ?
>
> Sure. Just include the debugging info; your system seems to be quite
> special.

I would say "battle-tested" :-)

But honestly I do not think this is a common problem, it was just me
messing up with the schema previously and forgetting I'd done that.