[Freeipa-devel] LDAPI + autobind instead of Kerberos (for named)?

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu Jun 19 14:37:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-06-19 at 17:33 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2014, Simo Sorce wrote:

> >> So, now we'll have to manage multiple named accounts named what,
> >> 'named1', 'named2', ... ? How to manage them?
> >
> >what is there to manage ?
> >
> >> One solution could be to have multi-value uidNumber/gidNumber
> >> attributes...
> >
> >nope, you just need to create a new object only if one does not exist
> >with the same uidNumber, and add it to the group we use for ACIs on DNS.
> I assume the account like that shouldn't have any password at all, to
> prevent its use over LDAP instead of LDAPI.

Yep.

> I'm still a bit uncomfortable with it because if this trend goes, we'll
> be making such accounts for other services as well. Given that we have
> no means to manage sysaccounts from IPA right now, their life cycle is a
> bit weird.

I know.

> I may need to revive my sysaccounts module...

There is one more issue though, and this one really concerns me.
If you need to put there multiple accounts because different servers
have different local accounts, then you open up access to unrelated
services. Because all these uids are shared on all systems.

I think this kills my own proposal of sticking these entries in
cn=sysaccounts.

However we could have something in cn=config maybe ?
So that each server can:
A) use the same name/DN
B) have ids that match exactly the local named account no matter how
many different variants we have
C) no management issues when the server is killed from the
infrastructure as cn=config is local to that server and goes away with
it.

What do you think ?