[Freeipa-devel] Reorganization of Web UI navigation items

Kyle Baker kybaker at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 13:58:31 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 06/27/2014 07:27 PM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> > On 2.6.2014 15:59, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> >> Hi List,
> >>
> >> the purpose if this mail is to start a discussion about reorganization
> >> of navigation items. Users are not fond of such change so we should come
> >> up with a solution which would last for some time.
> >>
> >> Problem:
> >> UX recommendation is that one menu level should contain maximum of 7
> >> items. We have 10 items in Identity, 7 in Policy and 7 in IPA Server.
> >> Basically we reached max. capacity of all 1st-level items.
> >>
> >> Solution:
> >> Introduce new 1st-level items and redistribute 2nd-level items.
> >>

> > It would be great to get this into 4.0, resuming the discussion. My
> > proposal
> > which takes into account various other proposals:
> >
> > Identity (7)
> >   - Users
> >   - User Groups
> >   - Hosts
> >   - Host Groups
> >   - Netgroups
> >   - Services
> >   - Automember
> >     - User group rules
> >     - Host group rules
> > Policy (5)
> >   - Host Based Access Control
> >     - HBAC Rules
> >     - HBAC Services
> >     - HBAC Service Groups
> >     - HBAC Test
> >   - Sudo
> >     - Sudo Rules
> >     - Sudo Commands
> >     - Sudo Command Groups
> >   - SELinux User Maps
> >   - Password Policies
> >   - Kerberos Ticket Policy
> > Authentication (3-4)
> >   - Certificates
> >   - (future) User Certificates
> >   - OTP Tokens
> >   - RADIUS Servers
> > Network services (2-3)
> >   - Automount
> >   - DNS
> >     - DNS Zones
> >     - DNS Forward Zones
> >     - DNS Global Configuration
> >   - (future) Vault
> > IPA Server (5-7)
> >   - Role Based Access Control
> >     - Roles
> >     - Privileges
> >     - Permissions
> >     - Self Service Permissions
> >     - Delegations
> >   - ID Ranges
> >   - Realm Domain
> >   - (future) Replication Topology
> >   - Trusts
> >     - Trusts
> >     - Global Trust Configuration
> >   - (future) Views
> >   - Configuration
> > (future) Help
> > - Docs
> > - API
> > - ...
> >
> > Mostly it's a response to the last proposal:
> > http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2014-June/msg00107.html

> [...]

Been following the thread and the map Petr has put together here does a great job of categorizing these items. The ratio of level one to level two options is secondary to logical, intuitive groupings.

I think the way Identity is here is fine. 7 options is just an average guide not the max number. I don't see the types of currency we manage increasing dramatically in the future. Even if we add four more options under Identity it should have little effect due to the logical groupings.

The goal here is to not require users memorize tons of options because the top level bucket is too big or the label is to generic/specific. I think Petr has struck a great balance here.

One comment - Is 'IPA Server' going to make sense in the downstream? May make sense to call it Identity Server which will make sense in both cases.