[Freeipa-devel] RFE - Number of thoughts on FreeIPA

Petr Spacek pspacek at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 09:00:04 UTC 2014

On 25.11.2014 04:09, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 08:31:33 +1030
> William B <william at firstyear.id.au> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been using FreeIPA for some time now. I have done a lot of
>> testing for the project, and have a desire to see FreeIPA do well.
>>
>> As some background, I'm a system admin for a University, who currently
>> runs an unmanaged instance of 389ds. In the future I would love to
>> move to FreeIPA, but I want to explain some concerns first.
>>
>> I have always noticed that FreeIPA is feature rich, but over time I
>> have noticed that this comes at a cost. Most components don't get as
>> much testing as they deserve, and just installing and running FreeIPA
>> for a few hours, one can quickly find rough edges and issues. Run it
>> for longer, and you quickly find more. As a business we value
>> reliable, and consistent software that doesn't have any "surprises"
>> when we use it. Unforseen issues sour peoples taste for things like
>> FreeIPA, as many people get stuck on their first impressions.
>>
>> With these features also comes a lack of advanced documentation. Too
>> often the basics are well covered, but there are lots of simple tasks
>> that an admin would wish to perform that aren't covered in the
>> documentation. High quality, and advanced documentation is really key
>> to my work, as not everyone has as much time as I might to learn the
>> inside-out of FreeIPA. People want to reference documentation. Again,
>> one only needs to sit down and use FreeIPA for a few days, to try and
>> use it in their environment and you will quickly find that many tasks
>> aren't covered by the documentation. The documentation itself is also
>> hard to find, or out of date (Such as on fedoraproject.org, which is
>> the first google hit for me).
>>
>> FreeIPA also pushes a some policies and ideas by default. Consider the
>> password reset functionality. By default, when the password is reset,
>> the password is also expired. In our environment, where we have a
>> third party tool that does password resets on accounts (Password
>> manager), this breaks our expectation as a user would then have to
>> reset their password again in the FreeIPA environment. Little things
>> like this remove flexibility and inhibit people making the swap.
>> These options shouldn't be hardcoded, they should be defaults that
>> can be tuned. If someone wants to do stupid things with those
>> options, that is their choice, but that flexibility will help FreeIPA
>> gain acceptance into businesses.
>>
>> Finally, back to our rich features. Not all businesses want all the
>> features of FreeIPA. For example, we don't want the Dogtag CA, NTP,
>> DNS or Kerberos components. But the default install, installs all
>> these packages even if we don't use them, and it configures services
>> that we don't necesarily need. Kerberos is especially a risk for us
>> as there are plenty of unforseen issues that can arise when you have
>> an AD kerberos domain on the same network, even if they live in
> [...]

William, please open tickets for deficiencies you have found, preferably one
ticket for one specific deficiency:
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/newticket

Splinting FreeIPA to separate packages is already tracked in

Also, you can help us with documentation yourself - feel free to edit pages
http://www.freeipa.org/page/HowTos
and
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Documentation

You will need an Fedora account - you can get one for free:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/user/new

Have a nice day!

--
Petr^2 Spacek