[Freeipa-devel] Thesis - Gnome Keyring Key Storage in Vault/KRA

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 12:15:10 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 01:24:10PM +0200, Martin Kosek wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Last week me, Jakub and Stef discussed a design for a candidate for a
> FreeIPA&Gnome keyring related thesis:
>
> https://thesis-managementsystem.rhcloud.com/topic/show/219/gnome-keyring-storage-in-freeipa
>
> Apparently, there was a misunderstanding when crafting the topic proposal, it
> is not about storing Gnome Keyring *secrets* in FreeIPA tree, but only about
> storing a *master key*/AUTHTOK in FreeIPA so that keyring can be unlocked by
> SSSD on user log on even in non-password authentication case (like SSO).
>
> With SSO, Gnome keyring cannot grab the long term secret to unlock the keyring,
> the keyring also cannot re-encrypt itself when the long term password changes
> on the server (this is no problem locally as Gnome keyring is hooked to PAM
> password change module). Thus, there is the idea to store the master
> key/AUTHTOK centrally on the server.
>
> Given the sensitivity of the password, it would be best to store it in the
> upcoming FreeIPA Password Vault/KRA:
>
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Password_Vault
>
> However, here comes the problem with how to authorize the operation on SSSD
> level. To make it working, SSSD, host/client.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM would need
> to be able to retrieve and decipher a key from (any) user's Vault, which is
> probably not what we want to allow. We may add S4U2Proxy rules so that
> host/client.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM can get
> vault/server.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM for the client, but then SSSD could grab
> any user's secret when he logs in.
>
> Are there any ideas how to overcome this issue? Otherwise, it seems that the
> Vault idea is not the right way. Maybe centralizing access to Gnome keyring is
> not a good idea at all, we will see.

What about using a new authorization data type for the key. Then only
the KDCs on the IPA servers need access to the key. The authorization
data can be added to the service ticket of the host the user logs into.
Since SSSD does ticket validation by default this service ticket would
be available for password based logins as well.

bye,
Sumit