[Freeipa-devel] Question how memberof plugin works

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Fri Oct 31 17:05:33 UTC 2014

On 10/31/2014 05:31 PM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> On 31.10.2014 16:54, Martin Basti wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I ran upgrade (related steps listed in order):
>>
>> ipa-ldap-updater --upgrade
>> - applying update files (including 55-pbacmemberof.update)
>> - updating ACI (new permissions created, added to existing privilege)
>> ipa-upgradeconfig
>> - setting up new service (which uses privilege with new permission)
>>
>> At the end I was expecting, the privilege will missing the new
>> permission (memberOf attribute), but I tested it in lab, and membership
>> was OK.
>>
>> How the memberof plugin works?
>
> I know of
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/docs/389ds/design/memberof-plugin.html
> If there is other source, I would like to see it as well.
I don't know of another doc, but the mechanism of memberof is quit simple:

In the plugin config you define one or more groupattr and a memberofattr, eg

|memberofgroupattr: member
memberofgroupattr: uniqueMember
memberofattr: memberOf

then for any occurrence of the groupattr a value for the memberofattr in the referenced entry will be created, eg:

||dn: cn=group,dc=example
member: cn=user,dc=example

will trigger the addition of the memberofattr to the referenced entry cn=users

dn: cn=user,dc=example
objectclass: inetUser
memberOf: cn=group,dc=example|

This happens for any add/delete of a |memberofgroupattr or when the
memberof fixup task is run.

You have to make sure that the entry which you expect the memberof has
an objectclass allowing the memberof attribute,