[Freeipa-devel] New installer PoC

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 08:51:15 UTC 2015

On 03/23/2015 09:03 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the attached patch contains a new PoC installer for httpd.
>
> Design goals:
>
> 1) Make code related to any particular configuration change co-located,
> be it install/uninstall/upgrade.
>
> 2) Get rid of code duplicates.
>
> 3) Use the same code path for install and upgrade.
>
> 4) Provide metadata for parameters from which option parsers etc. can be
> generated.
>
> 5) Make installers plugable. This is not really apparent from the patch,
> since it only implements installer for a single component, but I plan to
> make the whole thing extensible by plugins.
>
> Honza

1. In

-def install_http(config, auto_redirect):
+def install_http(config, http):

to me, it was not obvious whether `http` is an http instance or an http
installer. I would prefer `installer` or `http_installer`.
Distinguishing these two could be a good convention.

2. What is the reason for hard coding step numbers in output messages, e.g.:

+        if self.is_installer:
+            self.service.print_msg("  [6/16] configuring httpd")

Is it temporary for the POC? I look forward to the plugin support. Do
you plan to allow adding a step in the plugin to an arbitrary place? It
could invalidate these hardcoded strings.
--
Petr Vobornik