[Freeipa-devel] Time-Based Account Policies - Feature Proposal

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 13:06:33 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-04-16 at 10:04 +0200, Stanislav Láznička wrote:
> >> Possible values of each keyword:
> >> timeofday       0000-2359
> >> dayofweek       Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
> >> dayofmonth      1-31
> >> weekofmonth     1-5
> >> monthofyear     Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct,
> >> Nov, Dec
> >> year            a year
> >
> > IMO dayofweek and monthofyear should use number as well. Numbers
> are
> > easier to process.
> >
> On the other hand, names of days and months keep the rule more
> readable,

... for English speakers ...

> which I think might be better when checking for mistakes in those
> rules.

In most cases people will read these rules after they have been through
a parser that can translate numbers in whatever locale names the user
uses. Using numbers is preferable.

Please let's not mix schema and presentation here. The LDAP schema
should be tilted toward coding convenience first and readability second
(with exceptions as always).