[Freeipa-devel] [Freeipa-users] Dns SOA MNAME not resolving from LDAP data

Martin Basti mbasti at redhat.com
Thu Aug 20 13:09:10 UTC 2015

On 08/20/2015 02:46 PM, David Dejaeghere wrote:
> confirmed working.
> Does this default value make any sense if this value is changeable in
> the UI and using the IPA client?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> David

IMHO (I'm not 100% sure)

IPA DNS are master servers, which contains only authoritative zones.
Each DNS server contains the same copy of zones synchronized with LDAP
database, and each server is authoritative for that zone (multimaster
DNS topology).
So there is no reason to have listed different server than IPA DNS as
authoritative servers.

This works for majority users.

This also works as fallback  (on local network only without caching)
when one replica is down, the one of IPA DNS servers left, may act as
authoritative servers (primary master for DDNS).

I agree that this is tricky (I forgot about fake_mname too) for users
who want to change it, we may show warning for user or somehow let him
know that fake_mname is used.

Martin