[Freeipa-devel] certmonger everywhere

Jan Cholasta jcholast at redhat.com
Wed Dec 16 06:17:22 UTC 2015

On 15.12.2015 18:22, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-12-15 at 16:23 +0100, Martin Kosek wrote:
>> On 12/15/2015 08:54 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> recently I and David discussed the direction of installers with regard to
>>> requesting certificates. Currently there are four (!) different ways of
>>> requesting certificates in the installer [1][2][3][4]. We would like to reduce
>>> it to one.
>>>
>>> Since all the certificates are tracked by certmonger and certmonger already
>>> knows how to request certificates from Dogtag (and other CAs), we believe that
>>> all certificates should be requested using certmonger.
>>>
>>> Taking our meditation further, we thought "Why not use certmonger for the
>>> cert-request command as well?" What is the benefit, do you ask?
>>>
>>>   a) single code path for requesting certificates (seriously, the current state
>>> is ridiculous)
>>>
>>>   b) use any CA supported by certmonger as the IPA CA (i.e. Let's Encrypt [5],
>>> once certmonger gains support for it)
>>>
>>>   c) automate external CA install, using any CA supported by certmonger [6]
>>>
>>>   d) support multiple different CAs at once (generalization of the Sub-CA feature)
>>>
>>>   e) uniform configuration on clients (configure once, use forever, even for
>>> CA-less)
>>>
>>> The idea is to store configuration for the different CAs in LDAP and have
>>> cert-request redirect requests to a proper CA helper according to that
>>> configuration. This would require a new certmonger D-Bus method to call a CA
>>> helper without associated certificate storage, but that should be rather easy
>>> to add. In return, it would be possible to do all of the above.
>>>
>>> Note that this should not conflict with tighter integration with Dogtag
>>> (profiles, ACLs, etc.).
>>>
>>> Comments are welcome.
>>>
>>> Honza
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> <https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/freeipa.git/tree/ipapython/certmonger.py#n305>
>>> [2]
>>> <https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/freeipa.git/tree/ipaserver/install/certs.py#n329>
>>>
>>> [3]
>>> <https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/freeipa.git/tree/ipaserver/install/certs.py#n355>
>>>
>>> [4]
>>> <https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/freeipa.git/tree/ipaserver/install/cainstance.py#n878>
>>>
>>> [5] <https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5431>
>>> [6] <https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5317>
>>
>> Interesting idea! I would be definitely interested to hear what Fraser, Rob or
>> Simo thinks here.
>
> Sounds great to me in principle.
>
> How do you handle CAs that do not have automatic workflows for csr
> handling ?
>
> That's the reason we did the 2 step process (in reference to [6])

This could be handled by a dummy "manual" CA helper in certmonger, which
would dump the CSR into the filesystem and wait for the user to provide
the signed certificate in the filesystem and resume the certmonger request.

As you pointed out, we currently do the same, although manually, in
external CA install. It is also done when renewing the externally signed
CA certificate - this time it is done using certmonger, but it is
handled by the dogtag-ipa-ca-renewal-agent helper rather than a separate
helper.

--
Jan Cholasta