[Freeipa-devel] Modifying ID Range

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Mon Jan 5 08:41:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 08:50:29AM +0530, Prashant Bapat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What I'm trying to do is to modify the Range FreeIPA uses. I removed the
> random Range Id created during install, added a new range that I wanted.
> But problem is when I try to add a new user or a group now its still using
> the old range that was created during installation.
>
> I tried restarting the ipa service but still no help.
>
> Any pointers to this will be appreciated.

sorry, ID ranges changes at runtime are currently not supported because
of the implications on the running system, e.g. users might not be able
to access their home directory anymore.

To use the new range the easiest way is to remove the SSSD cache on all
systems, i.e. systemctl stop sssd.server; rm /var/lib/sssd/db/cache_* ;
systemctl start sssd.service. Please note that with this scheme you will
loose the cached password, i.e. offline authentication might fail if the
given users hasn't logged in successfully after the cache was removed.

HTH

bye,
Sumit