[Freeipa-devel] topology management question

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 14:50:47 UTC 2015

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 15:29:02 +0100
Ludwig Krispenz <lkrispen at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/07/2015 05:35 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 17:23:08 +0100
> > Ludwig Krispenz <lkrispen at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> it will stop replication and the restart it again, unnecessary
> >> interrupting replication for some time.
> >> Assume you have a working topology and then raise the domain level
> >> and the plugin becomes active,
> >> creates segments and "marks" agreements as controlled. This should
> >> happen as smooth as
> >> possible.
> > While this is true, it is also a rare operation. I do not see it as
> > a big deal to be honest.
> > However if you prefer to add a flag attribute that is fine by me
> > too.

> after thinking a bit more about it, I don't think we need the mark at
> all.

We discussed this already and we came to the conclusion we need it :)

> The agreement would have been marked in two scenarios
> - the agreement exists and the dom level is raised, so that a segment
> is created from the agreement
> - the dom level is set, the plugin active and a segment is addded to
> the shared tree so that a replication agreement is generated.
> In all cases where an agreement is marked, there is a 1:1
> corresponding segment,  so the existence of a segment should be
> marking enough. I will make the mark_agreement and check_mark as
> noops, so if we really run into a
> scenario where a mark would be required, it can be added in one of
> the methods discussed
> so far.

I recall the problems came in corner cases. Like when a replica starts
and finds an agreement.
If it is marked and a segment does not exist, we simply delete it.
However if it not marked and a segment does not exist, what do you do ?
Without markings you can only import it, and this way you may end up
reviving deleted agreements by mistake.

The reason this may happen is that cn=config and the main database are
separate, and a backup dse.ldif may be use upon start even though the
shared database had been already updated, so we cannot count on the
replica starting and finding the segment-to-be-deleted-via-replication
still there.

The marking was needed to make sure that once an agreement was imported
we wouldn't do it again later on.
I still maintain that marking it is safer and will lead to less issues
with phantom segments coming back to life.