[Freeipa-devel] Time-based account policies

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 13:54:40 UTC 2015

> On Mon, 2015-03-09 at 22:02 +0200, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Mar 2015, Simo Sorce wrote:
>>> For some tasks 'local' is the only thing that makes sense (your
>>> morning alarm clock), for other things 'UTC' is the only thing
>>> that make sense (coordinated changes across multiple distributed
>>> data centers).
>>>
>>> Implementing just one or the other is not useful.
>> Correct. At this point I think we are more or less in agreement that
>> we need to store time rules in UTC plus timezone correction
>> information specific to the execution context (HBAC rule, host,
>> etc). Handling 'UTC' rule is equivalent to selecting specific
>> timezone (GMT+0, for example) so this is a case of more general (UTC
>> time, timezone definiton) pairs.
>>
>> This timezone definition may have aliases forcing HBAC intepretation
>> to use local machine defaults if needed but the general scheme stays
>> the same.
>
> Agreed.

Alexander, can you please elaborate a bit more on the idea of storing the time
rules in UTC + timezone correction? I thought SSSD would take take the time
zone information from the local system.

The purpose is that admin can create rule like "Joe can interactively log in
from 8:00 to 17:00 on all machines across the globe". You cannot store the time
zone with such rule as the rule spans across several many different time zones.
Right?