[Freeipa-devel] Time-based account policies

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 16:13:52 UTC 2015

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Stanislav Láznička wrote:

>>>Ah, makes sense to me.
>>>
>>>With all the possibilities that iCal format offers, we would more or less end
>>>up storing iCal in HBAC rules (or our own format of iCal). I am just concerned
>>>it would make a bit complex processing on SSSD side, especially in the security
>>>sensitive piece for authorization rules.
>>>
>>>We may need to use libraries for processing iCal rules, like libical
>>>(http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=606329)...
>>Is that what Alexander said, though? In his reply, I see:
>>     "Parsing event information would produce a rule definition we would
>>     store and SSSD would apply as HBAC rule".
>This is what kind of worried me, too. If I understand it well, this
>means you would have iCal events such as holidays (these were
>mentioned before), and you would like to generate HBAC rules based on
>these events. Those rules would, however, be different for each
>country (if this is still about holidays) and might collide among user
>and host groups. Therefore, you would have lots and lots of rules in
>the end, wouldn't you?
It does not matter how many rules are there.
SSSD caches HBAC rules per host and if rule doesn't apply, it is not
downloaded and doesn't affect the host.

HBAC rule is a tuple (user|group, host|hostgroup, service|servicegroup).
This tuple would get extension representing time/date information in a
multivalued attribute that would describe all time/date intervals
applicable to this rule.

HBAC rules represent ALLOW action and default is DENY so you don't need
to represent holidays, they are on DENY by default. You only need to
represent ALLOW here.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy