[Freeipa-devel] Time-based account policies

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 18:27:36 UTC 2015

> See my answer to John. We don't need to end up with iCal at all since
> iCal doesn't have procedural definitions of holidays. It has
> EXDATE/RRULE allowing to express exceptions and repeating rules (EXRULE
> for exception rules was removed in RFC5545 and is not used anymore) but
> nothing more concrete.
>
> RFC5545 does define multiple things which are part of iCalendar format
> and which we don't really need to deal with in SSSD so we don't need
> full iCal at all. We need to be able to represent recurring events and
> some of exceptions to them within the rules but that is a subset of what
> is needed and can be implemented without involving a fully-compliant
> iCal library.

I always get a bit concerned when I hear we'll factor out or just import
only the minimal code we need to support the minimal functionality we
need from an otherwise large complex body of code implementing an entire
RFC.

Maybe the code in libical is perfectly suited to extracting the snippets
we need (I don't know) but experience tells me complex code has complex
inter-dependencies and reducing libical to our minimal requirements
might be a significant effort. Is there really a problem with just
linking with the entire libical library even if it's more than we need?

--
John