[Freeipa-devel] Time-based account policies

Stanislav Láznička slaz at seznam.cz
Tue Mar 24 17:08:20 UTC 2015

On 03/24/2015 08:53 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
> Dne 24.3.2015 v 08:40 Martin Kosek napsal(a):

>>> Yes, that was my understanding also.

>>> Yes, also in a previous e-mail, there was a suggestion to change
>>> timezones by admin when the user changes timezones -- I didn't like
>>> that
>>> part, it seems really error prone and tedious. *If* there was this
>>> choice, it should not be the default, rather the default should also be
>>> host local time IMO.
>
> I don't think you can expect host-local time to be good enough for
> everyone.
>

>> Host local time zone was the original case I expected. Enforcing
>> *user* local
>> time zone is where this discussion started. Honze proposed making
>> this an
>> option - leaving us to 3 different time modes:
>>
>> * UTC - stored as (time + olson time zone), enforcement is clear
>> * Host Local Time - stored as  (time + Host Local Time), enforcement by
>> /etc/localtime
>> * User Local Time - stored as  (time + User Local Time), enforcement
>> by ???
>>
>> So the rule may be:
>> * Employee Foo can access web service Bar only in his work hours
>
> Correct.
>

>> IMO, it is realistic for an administrator to set the time zone
>> setting in the
>> employee entry. Of course, it gets tricky when the user starts moving
>> around
>> the globe...
>>

> It doesn't have to be the administrator, it can be automated by a 3rd
> party service:
>
>  1. Employee schedules bussiness trip in time management system
>  2. Manager approves the bussiness trip in the time management system
>  3. The time management system takes care of changing the employee's
> user object timezone when the bussiness trip starts and ends.

I have to say I am not very sure about this anymore. Although it would
be a great feature to have users' local time policies, it brings a lot
of traps on the way. The responsibility of keeping the LDAP database
consistent with reality is laid to a 3rd party application. If that
breaks or does not work well, this responsibility might be sometimes
transferred to admin. But if there's a lot of people traveling at a
time... I'm having mixed feelings about this.